May 08, 2013

{ Save the Date } Girl Power Back to School Bash


A few weeks ago I came up with the idea to host a "Girl Power" empowerment type of event (or Back to School Bash) for the local girls in my community. Each year I try and give back some sort of way to my community... this year I chose this forum. This event is very personal to me because I have a little girl that is five years old that is graduating from Pre-K next week and will be off to "BIG" school in August. I feel that it is very important and necessary that I instill in her at this young and tender age the importance of being confident in herself and making good choices.

It seems as though children today mature more quickly than children did 5-10 years ago, I know it has a lot to do with them being so desensitized via TV, Internet, and various electronic devices being their main source of entertainment. With so many "new age" influences for our children sometimes it's difficult to be the perfect parent you dreamed (or want) to be. I struggle with trying to find the happy medium with my daughter all the time and she's only five. Since my daughter has been around the age of three years old she's been having issues with self-esteem stemming from the texture of her hair. Ridiculous right?! Other "babies" in her school sometimes tease her or refer to her hair as being "nappy" and anyone that knows my baby personally ... knows that her hair is far from nappy - her hair texture is really soft with dry tight curls. It breaks my heart when she comes home angry, mad, or upset because she is unhappy with her hair or being teased by peers. My daughter always requests for me to "straighten" her hair and most recently asked why wasn't she "white". I know that TV and Internet have all played a major role in forming the idea (to her) that long straight hair is pretty. With so many influences contradicting everything I'm trying to teach her as a parent sometimes I feel like throwing in the towel, but I don't... because I love her and I know if I continuously instill in her positive things and support her when she needs it the most -  all of my blood, sweat, and tears will pay off.

Initially, I wanted to focus on the older girls, but then I realized self-esteem is something my daughter has struggled with since the age of three. I believe if we can catch our little one's while they're still young and impressionable providing them with the support and resources they need to understand and respect individual differences we can began to build a community with self confident young ladies. Sometimes it seems as though us new age "modern" parents are so accepting of the (seemingly unusual) things are children say or do... thankfully, I was raised by an "Old School" parent that taught me how to value myself, my body, and to treat others as I would like to be treated. Sounds pretty basic right?... but these basic teachings were the foundation that built me to be the woman that I am today. So, with that being said this event means a lot to me... I want the girls to come into the event thinking one way and leave out thinking something totally different. I want to build a network of support for them and hopefully they will connect with one another and build new friendships and gain a mentor.

I will be promoting this event all the way up until the actual event date; I really want the community to bind together and come out and celebrate our little girls. I’m currently seeking local Volunteers for this event and Sponsors. If you would like to learn more about this event you can visit the “Eventbrite” website (tickets can be purchased here as well): http://www.eventbrite.com/event/6578471385

I have a formal Sponsor letter and flyer if you would like additional information please feel free to email me. Currently, we are seeking Sponsorship for the following items:

Food (Pizza, Chips, Drinks, Desserts)
Hair Accessories
Beauty Products (Makeup and Nail Polishes)
Goodie Bags/Favor Boxes
Tulle (for each girl to make her own Tutu)
Journals/Notepads/Pens
and anything else you feel would make the girls embrace their inner beauty and confidence!



I look forward to connecting with each and every one of you - let's make this event a success and make a positive change in the lives of our little one's... xoxo, Latisha

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Let's Get Social! #iloveEccentricDesigns

Let's Get Social! #iloveEccentricDesigns

Search This Blog

*NEW* Nail Decals

*NEW* Nail Decals
50+ Styles To Choose From

Mobile Spa Parties

Mobile Spa Parties
Starting at $300 - Book Your Party Today!

DIY Tutu Kits

DIY Tutu Kits
Tutu Kits For Any Occasion!

Featured Theme

Featured Theme
Air Jordan Inspired Party

Let's Connect on IG

Follow & Tweet Me!

Powered by Blogger.